Friday, August 1, 2008

Oriented and Ready to Go!

In what can only be described as a whirl wind experience, the last three weeks in Chicago have been wonderful. I was invited to go for an interview just a two weeks before orientation began. In fact, the whole thing has been fast. When I sent an e-mail to the ELCA Global Mission staff on the suggestion of the best advise available (thanks Julie, Sarah, and Brooke!), I did not expect that they would ask me to write a ten page application in just an afternoon. It was a blessing, though. I sat down and wrote from the heart, with all the mistakes and spelling errors one would expect from a quickly written series of essays. I guess they saw the qualities they needed. To save money it was decided rather than flying out and back from Denver we moved the interview to the day before orientation began and I would stay if I received God's call. On Monday July 7th I left the house not knowing if I would be gone for the afternoon or for the month. It turns out being flexible as a missionary is a good thing. I am honored to have the opportunity to serve in Northern Sumatra. The HKBP church of Indonesia and the ELCA have combined to offer me the opportunity to teach English.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Laura, I have found your blog! This is Kerry. Mine is at http://web.mac.com/kerry.floyd, just so you know. Call me about computers!