Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Missionary Accomplished

Sunday I woke up early and went up to Atonement Lutheran Church, Boulder to preach twice, give a presentation on Indonesia, and enjoy the day with two friends. We visited three of my favorite places- Burnt Toast, the Shambala Center, and the Tea house. Hugging so many loved one's goodbye left me exhausted but happy. Thus ending my responsibilities as a missionary. There is still a project and an exit interview that I am working on to complete my service. For all intensive purposes, however, that's the end of that chapter of my life.

Monday I met with the super ultra not kidding nice folks at the Rocky Mountain Synod about entrance to candidacy for ordained ministry. The interview was intense but I maintained composure and they had really kind things to say when we were done. At home I sat and waited for the phone call and at around 5:10PM yesterday they called and told me that I am in fact in candidacy. I cried and thanked them for the honor. And I am thankful for this opportunity to start this new chapter in my life.

Goodbye to friends and family all this week, sent my boxes via the mail today. I am soooooo grateful for this amazing country's mail service. Having lived for six months in a place where things were lost, stolen, or destroyed when they arrived, mailing with confidence is wonderful. Where are my clothes, books, and meditation pillow going to be in 6-10 business days? Right were I sent them, in good condition, and at low cost! Yipee!

Friday night I fly out to California see Pea pod, Mr. Muftipuff, and Kate. Then moving into Berkeley in a few weeks. I can't stop thinking of Joni Mitchell song 'California', mainly because it is happy but also melancholy. The way she sings "I'm coming home, to see the folks I dig. I'll even kiss a sunset pig." is both elating and heartbreaking. For the first time, California is my home. Let the myth of dualism dissolve in the joy of reality.

No comments: