Sunday, October 26, 2008

Pastor Julie

Today I saw my friend Julie become a called and ordained minister in the ELCA. I have never been to an ordination ceremony before and like many times this week found myself crying the whole way through. First off, Pastor Jim delivered a beautiful sermon on the import of remembering it is not about you. Our time here is to glorify God by working to hear and do his work here on earth. Second, the day was bright and beautiful. What a wonderful moment to affirm my faith. I have struggled to stay positive as time passes and I still do not have a visa. I am not able to make plans for more than the next month without serious hesitation. But today, for a minute I lost myself. As I looked out the windows at the top of the sanctuary I found myself spinning (maybe floating?). Suddenly the very world seemed too bright. I thought, I want to keep this feeling, and instantaly I was snapped back into the song. People around me were missing entrances, holding notes too long, they were not in key and many were fumbling words. I love it. We are so fragile and so mistaken. I thank all the people who have helped me decern my call. Is this God calling me to work half a world away? Donno. It's a leap of faith. And today I saw a very wise very strong women give it all up. Without help we are lost. Today for just a light filled moment I was found. I thank God for that moment of clarity. The sound of all those voices lifted me up.

No comments: